Creamy Mushroom Soup
January is here and I'm back to my diet after a well deserved holiday break.
I've lost almost all of the maternity weight and only have 10 pounds left to go!
Winter is the hardest time to be on a diet. All I want is rich, warm comfort foods.
To ease myself back into it I'm starting this weeks lunches with Creamy Mushroom Soup.
Perfect for chilly snow days!
- Olive oil spray
- 4 oz (2 cups) whole oyster mushrooms, cut in half if large
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups of Chicken Stock
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Spray sauce pan with olive oil. Add the oyster mushrooms and a large pinch of salt to a sauce pan. Cook for 5 minutes, until soften. Set aside
- Heat the oil over medium-low heat, add onion and cook until softened, but not colored. About 5 minutes
- Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute
- Add the button mushrooms, bay leaf and 1 tsp salt. Cover and cook stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are softened
- Add the chicken stock and white pepper, cover again, raise the heat to high and bring to a simmer
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for an additional 10 minutes
- Add the cream and cook for a minute or so, until heated through. Remove the bay leaf
- Working in batches, transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Or use a hand held blender
- Season with more salt if needed
- Pour the soup into bowls and divide the oyster mushrooms among the bowls. Garnish with the cheese, cracked black pepper and parsley and serve