Healthy Family Dinner: Chicken And Zucchini Noodle Pho
Falls already in the air and as the weather gets cooler I've been craving those warm, rich, comforting dishes that go great with chilly nights.
I had sworn off all my favorite cold weather foods for this year since I'm getting closer to loosing the last of my pre/post pregnancy weight.
Then yesterday at the library after story time I stopped by the cookbook section to pick up some ideas for dinner.
And what did I see on the shelf? Gwyneth Paltrow's "It' All Easy" cookbook!
I own her first cookbook and love all the flavorful, inventive, health conscious recipes in it. So I knew this cookbook of easy weeknight meals was going to be just what I needed to get that balance if indulgent and responsible eating.
Marcelo and I love ramen so when I saw her recipe for Chicken And Zucchini Noodle Pho we had to try it.
So filling, warm and satisfying. Everything you want from a comfort food dish and good for you to boot!
Bonus it took us only 30 minutes to prepare! Definitely the perfect mid-week meal for Fall.
Here's the recipe below
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 bone-in skin-on chicken breast
- 8 cilantro stems
- 1 3-inch long piece ginger, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ small white onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, spiralized
- 1 small serrano chili, sliced
- 8 cilantro stems
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
- 1 handful mung bean sprouts
- 1 lime, quartered
- Combine chicken stock, water, chicken, cilantro stems, ginger, garlic cloves and a large pinch of salt in a medium saucepan; the chicken should be just covered. Bring the liquid up to a boil, lower to a simmer, and poach for ten to fifteen minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breast, shred the meat, and return the carcass to the saucepan. Simmer on low for 10 minutes while you prep the other ingredients. After ten minutes, strain the stock, return to the saucepan, and add the lime juice, maple syrup, soy sauce, and sliced onion. Taste for seasoning and add salt if desired.
- Divide the spiralized zucchini and shredded chicken between two bowls. Ladle over the hot liquid, and serve with fresh herbs, chili, lime wedges, and sprouts on the side.