Mac & Cheese And Broccoli
Leo's palate is pretty limited these days. What he likes to eat one day he refuses the next.
The constant in all this that he always eats without fail is Mac & Cheese!
It's hard to make two dinners every night and plain old mac & cheese leaves something lacking for the adults. So I've been mixing it up a bit by adding broccoli to give a well rounded meal.
(Hint you can substitute cauliflower, carrots, peas, zucchini, etc for the broccoli)
- 3/4 pound medium pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups grated Cheddar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt and pepper
- 116-ounce package frozen broccoli florets or fresh broccoli roughly chopped
- Heat broiler. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Stir in the nutmeg, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the pasta and broccoli and toss to combine. Transfer to a broiler proof 8-inch square or a 1 ½-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the remaining ½ cup of cheese. Broil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes.