Healthy Snacking: Greek Yogurt With Warm Blueberry Sauce
I've mentioned before that my body has not been the same since having our son. It's hard to loose the weight when your caring for another person around the clock. Lack of sleep makes motivating to go to the gym when you have an hour off really really hard!
I've been wanting to get back to my healthy lifestyle so I can keep up with Little Leo now that he is running everywhere.
Since I can't get to the gym more than three times a week I decided to start with something I can control. My food.
Marcelo and I love food! We love restaurants, cooking, eating, enjoying and indulging. We're thin people so a late night snack was never an issue.
Since having Leo I've realized that I just can't eat the way that I used to. The best place to start with modifying my diet seemed to be my late night snack habit.
I always eat something before going to sleep. Sweet or savory. The craving just hits and I can't ignore it.
Instead of grazing the cabinets for chips and cookies I've found some great alternatives that are healthy and satisfying.
In place of the creamcicle pop I crave I'm substituting the Greek Yogurt With Warm Blueberry Sauce recipe.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 Tbsp sugar, granulated
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, grated, or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 pinch table salt
- 3 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- In a medium saucepan, combine blueberries, sugar and water; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the berries burst and cook down into a purple sauce, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and salt; let cool to warm. (If not using right away, transfer to a container, cover and refrigerate until serving. Reheat before serving.)
- To serve, spoon yogurt into small bowls; top with warm berry sauce and swirl sauce into yogurt. Yields 1/2 cup yogurt and about 1/4 cup sauce per serving.