Two Roasted Pumpkin Seed Recipes
We’ve been trying to get to the Zoo since, hmmmm, June?! For some reason every time we’re able to go it unexpectedly rains. So when we got rained out again this Sunday our backup plans went into effect.
Instead we got to have a fun afternoon of pumpkin carving. And of course my favorite part of pumpkin carving is making toasted pumpkin seeds!
I make these two recipes every year and can never decide which I like better.
Give them both a try and let me know which is your fav!
Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 medium pumpkin
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut pumpkin open from the bottom, removing seeds with a long-handled spoon. Separate flesh from seeds. Pumpkin should yield 1 cup seeds. Spread seeds on parchment in an even layer. Bake until dry, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Let cool.
2. In a medium bowl combine 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne. Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook until sugar melts and pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds. Transfer to bowl with spices, and stir well to coat. Let cool. These may be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 pinch cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove seeds from pumpkin. Discard membranes and spread seeds on baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
2. Remove from oven. Toss seeds with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste, plus cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, and honey.
3. Return to oven and roast coated seeds until golden, about 15 minutes. Scrape from pan and stir seeds as they cool to prevent sticking.